Sunday, July 17, 2011

Catie

One of my friends, Catie, has a serious weight problem. She's about 5' 2", and we think she's about 170 lbs. She also carries all her weight on her hips, which obviously isn't great. One of my best friends (also my roommate) and I are on a mission to encourage Catie to lose some of the weight. We've got her going to the gym (for the first time ever!), and that's also great because it means that we have to go as well. We're also trying to work on her diet, which atm is a bit of a mystery to me. She tells us that she eats 900-1200 calories a day, so I really can't work out how she's so overweight (obese even according to BMI). (I'm pretty sure her body isn't in starvation mode because she seems to eat a fair amount when I'm around her.) Her food choices are pretty awful - sugary breakfast cereal and ramen noodles, but still, the calories don't add up. The whole food issue is made a lot more challenging by the fact that she really doesn't have any money to spend on food. At the very beginning of the summer she went shopping with her mom and bought all her food for the whole summer (ie sugary breakfast cereal and ramen noodles), so even if things are less expensive that that junk she isn't willing to buy them.

Anyway, I will of course keep you all updated on how it goes! Fingers crossed!

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help her/help me help her? I really don't know all that much about losing so much weight...

1 comment:

  1. Actually, the most healthy area you can carry weight is around your hips. If it's higher up (around the stomach) then you're more prone to quite a lot of diseases than if the weight is on your hips.

    As tough as it is, I think you've got to let Catie make up her own mind about weight loss. If you try and push her towards eating a certain way, she'll just retreat back into her comfort foods.

    In my opinion, the best course of action would be to try and increase the activity within your whole group. If you all go into town, walk instead of using public transport. Instead of going out for dinner, go for a (healthy) picnic in the park. Invite her to fun exercise classes with you guys. As for the food, lead by example is the only advice I can really give. Also, if you're going out for a group meal, aim for places that have a healthy menu, as opposed to places where menus have healthy options. While you might look for the salad or healthy choice in a restaurant like the Cheesecake Factory (fyi; for most things, cut the serving in half! HOW CAN A SALAD HAVE 980 CALORIES?! http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?) someone who's not health-conscious will probably make very bad diet decisions in there.

    ReplyDelete