Sunday, May 1, 2011

New Years Resolutions

So, I appreciate that this seems like a strange time to be talking about new years resolutions, but....this year I've done something strange/different with resolutions. Normally I make a tonne of resolutions, find it impossible to keep all of them and end up not keeping any of them and feeling like a failure. This year I decided to make a list of things I wanted to change at the beginning of the year. I have a list of food things (things like taking my vitamins every day, eating a salad every day, having a protein at two meals a day etc), exercise things (being able to run for 15 mins, 20 mins, getting to the next "level" on the rotex and being able to lift more weight) and then random things (wear sunscreen every day, organize two parties/group activities, invite four people to meals etc). Every month I pick one thing from each category and work hard to succeed in doing those few things. At the end of each month I look back and decide whether those changes I made were good or bad. If I think they've been positive changes I continue with them. If not, at least I've tried them for a month which I think is enough time to make  a decision about whatever it was.

Last month my goals were to drink 8 glasses of water a day, be able to consistently hold the plank for two minutes (doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty terrible at the plank. Also, people who can hold the plank for two minutes have significantly lower risk of back problems.), get to the gym (three times a week for cardio, once a week for weights) and also to floss daily.

So, I've kinda failed at a lot of those things - I've done okay with water but not great. I've got better at the plank, but I still can't hold it for two minutes, I haven't gotten to the gym at all (argh!). I did succeed at flossing though - that's seemed good so I'm going to continue with that.

Next month I'm going to try (again) to drink 8 glasses of water today, keep working on the plank, work on being able to run for 20 mins (before this year I didn't run at all - I'd love to do more of it) and also to wear sunscreen everyday (it's getting warm here and I burn so easily!)

Anyway, wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!

PS I have my first follower! Ali is awesome and her blog is amazing - it's one of the first ones I started reading. You should all check it out - http://studentonahealthcraze.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment