Friday, June 8, 2012

Seattle

So, I mentioned that I'm spending the summer in Seattle. I'm interning at an organization that tries to help people who are at risk of being evicted from their housing. I found it through my (old) college and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a little nervous about starting, but it should be super interesting and also a good introduction to the legal world. I've also never been to the West Coast before, so I'm looking forward to experiencing that as well.

My room. Super messy but I am still unpacking!
I found an apartment to sublet through Craigslist(!) and so far it seems pretty decent. There are 6 other housemates (3 girls and 3 guys) and they seem like an interesting bunch of people. None of them seem to be at college, and a few of them are a little older (25, 26ish). Everyone seems to keep to themselves a bit though, which suits me.



Anyway, onto my day! I didn't sleep all that well because I got really cold (I don't have a duvet) and I also didn't have a pillow. I woke up early (because I'm still on New York time) and decided to check out the gym I'm thinking about joining. It's a YMCA, and it's about 10 minutes from where I'm living. There's another branch of the gym about a 10 minute walk from my office, which is good. I have to decide whether to pay $29/month for access to just one of them or $35/month for all of them (in my case both of them). I'm have three free visits to them, so I'm going to see what they're both like and then make a decision. 
Doesn't it look super soft and fluffy! Should keep me nice
and warm tonight!
I had a great workout this morning - I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical, did a full weights routine and ran a mile. After that I stopped by Walgreens to pick up some things (the house needed some serious cleaning, so I picked up some sponges and paper towels and washing up liquid etc) and I found a super soft fluffy blanket there. Hopefully I won't get cold tonight!








I was super hungry after that, so I had a big salad for lunch.

Salad in my super cool salad box: spinach, almonds,
apples, carrots, dried cherries, parmesan cheese and
raspberry-walnut vinaigrette
Unfortunately it didn't really keep me full, so I ended up snacking a lot in the afternoon (two cereal bars and some cookies...not the best, I know).

The rest of my afternoon was super lazy and basically consisted of me lying in bed reading and watching Monk.

Sesame honey chicken over spinach. Yum!
I ate a fairly early dinner because I'm still on NY time. At the suggestion of my boyfriend I made sesame chicken - one of our favourite meals. It's basically chicken cooked in sesame oil. After it was cooked I added honey and more sesame oil - delicious! I put it over spinach, which was really good. I'm trying to lose a few pounds and in addition to working out more I'm also trying to cut down on carbs. I also cooked some extra chicken for my salads over the next few days, so hopefully they'll keep me a bit fuller.




Yum! I've had five cups of it already in the last
24 hours!
On an unrelated note, it was a lot of fun getting food for myself (I always like starting from scratch with food and getting to stock a kitchen). I'll be posting a lot on food while I'm in Seattle, partly because I enjoy it and partly because I think it will help to keep me accountable. My favourite thing that I found at the supermarket was Lady Grey tea. My favourite black teas are Earl Grey and Lady Grey and I very rarely get Lady Grey tea, so it was super exciting to find it!






Anyway, I'm off to watch the rest of a movie I started during dinner. It's called "The Net", and it's old fashioned but still kinda interesting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment